Tuesday, October 7, 2014

September 26


One year ago today, I was in Uganda. I've been waiting for so long to be able to say that. For the whole of last year I could say, "This time last year, I was doing this or that." Now I can say, "This time last year, I was here."

Today I celebrated my first full year in Uganda with the kids and some of the teaching staff here at Upendo. I planted a mango tree just outside the main hall. Years from now, children will enjoy the fruit from that tree. It's my prayer that the seeds I've planted in my ministry will also bear fruit for years to come.

After planting the tree, we had a short program and had a nice meal of rice, meat, and sodas. In true Uganda fashion there was no power so we literally ate in the dark. But it didn't keep any of us from having fun, especially when there were 60 kids hyped up on sugar and caffeine!

One year. I can hardly believe it. I survived my first birthday and Christmas away from family. I haven't seen or touched snow in over a year and half. I've survived Ugandan doctors, bedbugs, 3 weeks without any power, driving in the city on the wrong side of the road, my first boda boda ride (and all of the rides since then) and so much more. I'm looking forward to this coming year and all that God has in store.


No comments:

Post a Comment