Tuesday, October 7, 2014

September 25


One year ago today, I stepped on a plane bound for Uganda, not quite knowing exactly what I was stepping into but knowing that God would be with me every step of the way. I didn't write much in my journal about that day. I wish I had. I remember feeling completely at peace all day. Even the good-byes at the airport with my parents were good. A few tears, but we held it together. I remember thinking it was strange how at peace I felt.

I spent the day in town today. I did a little shopping and treated myself to a smoothie at my favorite little café. I sat there and just soaked everything up. A year ago today I had no home. I was no longer in the US but still not in Uganda. I had no place to call home yet, no place to rest my head. But today, I soaked up everything around me. I feel at home here. It took some time, a lot of frustration, and a whole lot of tears, but it happened.

The peace I had one year ago boarding that plane never left me. It's still with me today. Even in the hardest of times, God's peace, which truly does surpass all my understanding, has ruled in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment