Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Baking with the Girls


I have a new ministry with the girls here at Upendo. I found that the girls are really excited to learn how to bake. It works out really well because I like cookies! So I've started bringing a few girls at a time to come up to the house and bake.

They have really seemed to enjoy it. Not only do they get to learn something new and enjoy a sweet treat, they also get my undivided attention. When there are over 30 girls in the boarding section here at school, it makes it hard to give any all of my attention. So this has given me a chance to spend time with a few, really focusing on them.

It's taught me a lot about their personalities as well. I was baking with Gloria and Rachael. These are two girls who I thought were both very much like me. I learned that's not completely true. All three of us have sensitive and tender hearts in common. But I learned that Gloria is very precise, very organized, very literal, and she's a caretaker. Rachael, on the other hand, is more of a free spirit. She still has that child-like wonder in her. She still likes to play and have fun and she's competitive. How did I learn this? It's silly, but in watching their actions during our time together.

Gloria's cookies were very orderly. They were in very neat rows. 

Rachael's, on the other hand, were all over the place. She just put them wherever she found a space. But she was determined to make prettier cookies than Gloria. 

When we were all finished, Gloria could be found in the kitchen washing dishes, while Rachael took hold of my cameral and took pictures of things all over my living room, dining room, and kitchen.

While the cookies baked, it gave us time to just sit and chat. I gave them some soda. We listened to music. (They love for KING&COUNTRY).

Since that first time baking, I've worked with others as well, and now I have girls begging me to pick them next. In the meantime I'm enjoying the time with them, and I'm finding that it's helping to grow our more trust and love between us.

(Rachael loves my hair and wishes she had long, soft hair like mine, so she borrowed it for this picture).

No comments:

Post a Comment